Halfway Through & A New Plan ~ @AuthorKristina Knight

Liz (and Nan and Margie and Ava and Jana) reminded me last week that I am woefully behind on both my reading challenges for this year. Well, assuming that I'm only counting the books that I've finished. There have been a handful of books that I started and stopped...and feel no real motivation to start up again.

I will say, though, that I'm more-caught-up with the general 'read 50 books this year' challenge than I am on the themed read/watch challenge. I got stuck back in April on that one (the theme was 'Time' and I just couldn't get into the book I chose...or the show I chose...and I haven't gotten back to it).

The one thing I've kept up with is my reader journal (although, that's mostly because Liz's post last week nudged me to enter in the last few books I finished). It's been fun to write down favorite scenes or quotes from the book, and while I don't really dwell on the books that I haven't finished, I'll usually write down why I *think* I haven't been able to get into it. As I was updating the journal last week, I realized that most of those reasons have been character based. Either the heroine or the hero were just too...something for me to identify with/root for. And so I stopped reading and went on to the next book. And so, I'm making a mental note (and a few in my reader journal and my planner) to keep the characterization in my books interesting.

Speaking of planners, I picked up my new Happy Planner last week, and I LOVE IT! I went with the 'big' planner this year (it's 8.5x11 rather than 7ishx7ish), and with a more watercolor-y theme (last year's was very brilliantly bright...and I loved it...but wanted something difference). The reason for going bigger was because I wanted a little extra room for my daily planning, but I also wanted the ability to build out my quarterly goal sheets, and add in more of a business plan. More about that in a sec. I always use the horizontal layout because then I can divide my days according to family stuff, writing stuff and health stuff. 


On to the business plan - mine is only a 'business plan' in the sense that I named it that. It's more of a listing of current deadlines, projects I want to work on either for one of my publishers or on an indie basis, ways I want to expand my writing, publishers and editors I'd like to work with, and projected timelines for all those future-not-contracted projects. Because I picked up the big planner, I was able to add sections that go farther than my 2017/2018 goals, which is something new (and exciting) for me to add. I also added in quarterly goal recap sheets, that include writing and reading material.

There you have it, a kind of mid-year check in...and a planner check up. What are you planning for the rest of 2017?                                                                                                                    ~Kristina

Comments

  1. I always love your planners. I like the IDEA of planners, but fall woefully short when it comes to actually...er...planning in one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the stickers, Liz, it really is. I like decorating (I *am* a child of the 80s...and we *did* love our sticker books!) with them and it's easy to tie that 'make it pretty/fun/whatever' in to actual planning. :D

      Delete
  2. I walk past the planner aisle at Michael's and die because everything is so cute and colorful that I want to buy it ALL! Alas, I'm with Liz on the actual planner execution ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it all so pretty? I get lost there - so it's a good thing there isn't one in my town (we have to drive about an hour) or I'd be lost all.the.time.

      Delete
  3. I'm so bad at the whole planner thing! Then I see yours and I think, "Hey, I can do that! How cool!" Then, I just . . . don't. Maybe it's an age thing? At one time, I was so freaking organized, but now? Not so much. And not feeling the need to be. Yeah, it's an age thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you seem to have things under control, though! :D

      Delete
  4. I love your planners! I barely fill a calendar, so I'm useless with an elaborate planner. But, in the past week, I've read and finished three new books! So, I think I'm getting back on track. And I kind of gave up on the theme tv/book as well. It's a great idea, but...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your planners are so pretty! I end up using scraps of paper to write down my "to do" list and marketing ideas. And then I lose them. Not exactly efficient.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment